The design for assembly process starts with an existing product already in production, a prototype ready for the product to go into production, or a set of product drawings - whilst the design is still being finalized. An optimum assembly system will exist for any product, by considering the following points :
- market life of product
- company policy towards automation
- number of product styles
- number of anticipated design changes
- annual production volumes
- number of parts in the product
- individual component properties
- type of assembly operations
Once the most economical form of assembly system has been established,
the product can be re-designed for manual or automatic assembly.
The product is assembled with a note of all handling and assembly
operations required to complete the product. For manual handling;
weight, shape, symmetry, and bulk properties are noted and recorded.